Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Actor Lake Bell talks about her voiceover film "In A World" on NPR

Lake Bell and co-star Fred Melamed are in Bell's film "In A World" which played nationally last year.  They both were featured on NPR's Fresh Air with host Terry Gross discussing the film, the male dominated voiceover world and the master of the male voice-over, Don Lafontaine.

Here's an excerpt from the interview on what drew them to voiceover work:

Bell: "I always wanted to be an actor, [and] I guess it seemed like the ultimate acting to me. You know, the idea of blind voice was very alluring — because in a way you weren't judged by what you looked like, you could be any character and create any characterization. ... It's the only medium where you can be anyone, any social [level], any nationality, any gender, for that matter."
Melamed: "I always felt, frankly, I couldn't stand the way I looked, and voice-over was an opportunity to play anything. ... [Voice-over acting] has always been my waitress job. I got out of drama school in 1981 ... and I've never had to have another job outside of being a performer. ... And it's strictly because I do voice-overs that I was able to tough it out through the periods [when] there was scant work, which is something that happens to all actors."
Read more and hear the entire Fresh Air episode.


Funny or Die's Don LaFontaine "tribute"...IN A WORLD.....





Being able to play so many roles behind the mic is what draws many of us to the voiceover business. How about you? What made you decide to make the leap from normal job to getting paid for speaking for a living? Sometimes, speaking funny for a living. Even better, making an enormous living as a voice actor.

For me, it was the natural progression from goofball dj and radio salesperson creating spec spots for clients and local theater acting gigs to being lucky enough to play behind the mic on an international level.  
Tom "Cassidy" Rohe

No comments:

Post a Comment