Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl Commercials Play by Play Review Part 1

I'm watching the Superbowl tonight just like a handful of others are doing and posting live on my Twitter account too: http://twitter.com/SunSpots_Tom

I've been trying to find SunSpots Scheduler/Audio Engineer Deb Munini in the crowd. She's there working audio like she has done for previous Superbowls. She's also done audio work at the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Here's a post about Deb from October, 2008: http://sunspotsproductions.blogspot.com/2008/10/multi-talented-deb-munini-gets-profiled.html

I think the tv spots have not been as strong as they have been in the past, either in creativity or emotional connection. Some are good, few are great and some are just lame (yes, GoDaddy I'm talking to you, but we LOVE your prices and service).

Watch all the Superbowl tv commercials here and on SunSpots Productions web site Plus on our video page there's a good bunch of other videos featuring SunSpots voiceover talent and some other video oddities:


So far things have come down like this:

Thought Conan O'Brien's Bud Light spot was hilarious. I love his strange sense of humor. Cleveland Cavaliers, LeBron James, had a nice dream sequence of the star basketball player playing football.

One of my favorites early in is from Bridgestone with Mr. and Mrs. Potatohead. Bridgestone's Superbowl commercials have all been strong and creative tonight.

Castrol's grease monkey ad ended being creepy. C'mon kissing a monkey?

The trailer for Land of the Lost with Will Ferrell looks like fun. (I'm eagerly anticipating seeing Will Ferrell as George Bush in, "You're Welcome America: A Final Night with George W. Bush" on March 15 at the Cort Theater in New York.) The original Sid and Marty Krofft show, Land of the Lost, when I was a kid was tough to watch. Maybe I was too old. But any Krofft projects were just plain chock full of Ecstacy induced weirdness. I'm just guessing on that.

Pepsi Max tv spot was funny. Can't beat slapstick pratfalls. I like the Pedigree except for David Duchovny's waaaaaaay too laid back read for the voiceover. I prefer voiceovers with just a pinch more interest in the voice. But that's me. He's doing the "authentic", "real person", "pulled back" read. Since I'm mentioning voiceovers, if you're looking for a voice to bring you audio project to life search SunSpots ezCast for voice talent.

More to come. Time for a chicken wang!

No comments:

Post a Comment